Premarin is a mixture of estrogen hormones used to treat symptoms of menopause such as hot flashes, and vaginal dryness, burning, and irritation. Other uses include prevention of osteoporosis in postmenopausal women, and replacement of estrogen in women with ovarian failure or other conditions that cause a lack of natural estrogen in the body. Premarin is sometimes used as part of cancer treatment in women and men. Premarin should not be used to prevent heart disease or dementia, because this medication may actually increase your risk of developing these conditions.
Use Premarin as directed by your doctor.
- Do not use the medication in larger amounts, or use it for longer than recommended by your doctor.
- Premarin is taken on a daily basis. For certain conditions, Premarin is given in a cycle, such as 25 days on followed by 5 days. Follow the directions on your prescription label.
- Premarin may be taken by mouth with or without food.
- Take Premarin with a full glass of water.
- Try to take the medicine at the same time each day.
- Have regular physical exams and self-examine your breasts for lumps on a monthly basis while using Premarin.
- It is important to take Premarin regularly to get the most benefit. Get your prescription refilled before you run out of medicine completely.
- To be sure this medication is not causing harmful effects, your blood will need to be tested on a regular basis. Your thyroid function may also need to be tested. Do not miss any scheduled appointments.
- If you need to have any type of surgery, tell the surgeon ahead of time that you are taking Premarin. You may need to stop using the medicine for a short time.
- This medication can affect the results of certain medical tests. Tell any doctor who treats you that you are using Premarin.
- If you miss a dose of Premarin, take it as soon as possible. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular dosing schedule. Do not take 2 doses at once.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use Premarin.
Store Premarin between 68 and 77 degrees F (20 and 25 degrees C) in a tightly closed, light-resistant container. Store away from moisture, heat, and light. Do not store in the bathroom. Keep Premarin out of the reach of children and away from pets.
Premarin (conjugated estrogens tablets) for oral administration contains a mixture of conjugated estrogens obtained exclusively from natural sources, occurring as the sodium salts of water-soluble estrogen sulfates blended to represent the average composition of material derived from pregnant mares' urine. It is a mixture of sodium estrone sulfate and sodium equilin sulfate. It contains as concomitant components, as sodium sulfate conjugates, 17α-dihydroequilin, 17α- estradiol, and 17β-dihydroequilin.
Estrogen is a female sex hormone produced by the ovaries. Estrogen is necessary for many processes in the body.
Premarin tablets also contain the following inactive ingredients: calcium phosphate tribasic, hydroxypropyl cellulose, microcrystalline cellulose, powdered cellulose, hypromellose, lactose monohydrate, magnesium stearate, polyethylene glycol, sucrose, and titanium dioxide.